I was trying to think of something that would be a little different for lunch and still keep me on the lo carb band wagon.
I looked in the fridge and saw a lonely portobello mushroom that I had purchased and then decided not to use. I had no immediate plans for it so I thought it might serve as an edible lo carb vessel for a ham and Swiss “sandwich”.
1 portobello mushroom
1/2 Cup smoked ham
1 slice Swiss cheese
Italian salad dressing
Aerosol cooking oil
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Remove the stem and wash the mushroom cap.
- Dry, spray with cooking oil, and place on a small baking sheet
- Liberally coat the inside of the mushroom cap with the salad dressing and bake at 400 F for 15 minutes
- Remove the mushroom cap from the oven and fill with diced ham and top with the Swiss cheese slice
- Place under the broiler until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
This was a nice lo carb lunch. About 3 carbs total for this warm, open faced ham and Swiss. Great on a winter day!