Winter is a great time for scalloped potatoes, but scalloped vegetables from the squash family can be just as good, and they can be lo carb.
2 Summer squash (zucchini also works well, just make sure it is a lo carb veggie) sliced
1/2 small onion sliced thin
1/2 Cup heavy cream
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
3/4 Cup Pepper Jack cheese (Colby Jack also works well)
1 g Xanthan Gum
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Grease a small casserole (about 6’ x 6”)
- Season the squash and onion as desired (I use Nature’s Seasons as an all around substitute for salt)
- Layer 1/3 of the squash and onion in the bottom of the casserole. Top with 1/3 of the cheese.
- Repeat two additional times
- Melt the butter in the heavy cream in the microwave.
- Add the Xanthan Gum to the cream mixture and whisk until smooth
- Pour over the contents of the casserole
- Bake at 400 F about 40 minutes or until the veggies are tender and the cheese sauce is melted and lightly toasted
A nice substitute for scalloped potatoes that comes in at about 1-2 g of carb per serving.