I do miss fried potatoes while on the Keto Diet. French fries, cottage fries, waffle fries, hash browns: we all love the crunchy exterior and the soft interior. While researching cauliflower hash browns, I ran into the same issue as with cauliflower tots… they contained additional flower or potato to help as a binder. After additional research, I came up with these hash brown patties.
16 oz riced cauliflower
1/2 grated onion (or less)
1/4 Cup egg substitute (may also use 1 fresh egg well beaten)
Grated Parmesan cheese
- Microwave the riced cauliflower 3-5 minutes, until the grains are soft with little crunch.
- Squeeze the liquid out of the cauliflower through several layers of cheesecloth and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the grated onion and egg. Mix well.
- Add enough grated Parmesan cheese to allow you to form firm patties. Let firm up for about 15 minutes while the Parmesan soaks up a little moisture.
- Transfer patties to a hot non-stick skillet with a small amount of melted butter.
- Brown patties until brown on each side (about 5 minutes each).
- Remove to a plate lined with paper towels.
These were passable hash browns!
For the appropriate texture, be sure to cook the cauliflower long enough so that the grains are soft with just a little crunchiness. Undercooking the riced cauliflower won’t be solved by cooking the patties longer. Mine were a little crunchy…..think of it as hash browns where the potatoes aren’t fully cooked.
I got feedback at home that the onion was a little overpowering. If you are not a big fan, you might want to cut back or make a little test patty and see if you want to add more. Finely chopped green onions are another option as a substitute.
Fry the patties at high temp and a little darker than usual to obtain maximum crunch.